REMINDER:  There will be football this Saturday, 8 August at 3:30-5:00pm despite the long weekend holidays.   The Lightning Round Robin will continue if we can field at least 7-a-side.  If not, we will balance up teams and play an extended game.  Right now, we have around 6 for each team, so if you're around, please reply to (if you have not already done so) confirming your attendance and chances are you will get a full game on Saturday!!

Roll on the Round Robin! It was another great day Saturday! It is really pleasing that through the great support of everyone involved, the focus is entirely on the footy, which is what we want.  Thanks again to you all – kids, families, coaches and committee - for your efforts and support to make this tournament run so smoothly.  I think we already had 20 kids starting warm-ups at 325pm (5 minutes early) - this eagerness makes the organisation so much easier.  As a result, we’re being treated to our kids playing some great footy and in a wonderful spirit – with increases in crowd numbers week on week.  If you have not done so already – check for photos of the kids on Facebook (yes there is a lot).  Pretty much everyone should be featured making a contribution, which reflects what is happening out there on the field.
Before play commenced, we discussed choices and a show of support by the kids to the anti-racism message in sport and life.
Game 1 saw the undefeated Hammerheads take on the Makos.  It was a high quality game, with the tackling pressure both teams placed on each other perhaps having an influence on the balance of the day.  Ashleigh Snow again set the standard for this with her great chasing and strong tackling from the start.  Ethan Rogers was lively again up forward whilst Kyle Davies was almighty in the ruck and a force around the ground.  Henry Baker was busy and always worked hard to find a teammate (apologies there is a delay in the champion data so no disposal efficiency stats).  Harvey Brown took a screamer in the goal square and converted, whilst Jacob Naismith also lodged his claim for Mark of the Year with a  great full stretch, back arched effort to just hold it in his fingertips.  Cody Head was busy at the bottom of packs and pulled off one of the tackles of the day on Alex McKenzie.   Lachie Pollock controlled play when it was needed most for the Hammerheads, whilst EJ took a lovely chest mark amongst some determined defending for the Makos.  In the end, inaccuracy cost the Makos with 2 goals 6 getting defeated by 4 goals 3.  The result could have easily gone the other way but the hard work rate of Jamie Hope, Jared Brown and Isaiah Davies got their team over the line.
Game 2 could not come soon enough for the winless Tigers – in the press all week with coach Woodward out and coach Talbot in.   Talbot preached “belief will bring results” and it was clear at the first bounce that the team believed.  From the opening ruck contest between Oliver Keogh and Kyle Davies this was captivating action.  In a great team effort, the Tigers held the previously undefeated Hammerheads scoreless in the first half whilst scoring 2 goals 5, applying pressure all over the ground - two memorable efforts came from James Hosking chasing the livewire Jared Brown, and Tom Hosking’s desperate chase down of Jamie Hope.  Liam Phelan was simply inspirational and Felix Katsaros fearlessly got into the midfield mix. In the second half the Tiges had their tails up, adding a further 4 goals 1 and shooting away to the biggest score of the year so far – 6 goals 6. Daniel Azoor had some handy touches for the Hammers as they tried to fight back, with  Ethan Rogers slotting a major.  Xavier Keogh’s handball to set up Lachie Talbot’s second goal late in the game was simply magic.  Coach Talbot was understandably thrilled with the effort and made sure the kids understood that it resulted because “each played their role for the team…”.
Game 3 saw the Tiges back up against the rested Makos.  Will Davies and Dylan Mills were important early to steady the Makos as the buoyant Tiges pressured.  For the Tiges, Toby Azoor was rebounding well, Tom Hosking and Liam Phelan were busy again, whilst Max Absalom took a spectacular mark and goal late in the half to give the striped marauders a handy 7 point lead at the break.  Coach Talbot told the troops “ten more minutes of working for each other, and you’ll be the team everyone is talking about this week”.  In the second half, the Makos appeared poised to storm over the top of the tiring Tigers.  Luke Berridge’s hard running all day was nearly rewarded with two raking efforts from the right forward pocket – the second would surely have been the goal of the day had it stayed the right side of the post.  However, spurred on by coach Talbot frothing excitedly from the sidelines, the Tigers rallied.  Felix Katsaros made a memorable chase to halt another searing Brayden Hope run, and momentum shifted back to the Tiges who surged forward, with EJ making the spoil of the day on Lachie Talbot only to see his opponent recover quicker and snap truly. It was another fantastic contest containing the team highlights of day: a centre tap from Harvey Brown, roved by Jacob Naismith who kicked long to Alex McKenzie, who marked and goaled; and a reminder of why we play a contested game: with time running out and the game slipping beyond reach of the Makos, Ashleigh Snow leapt as high as she could defending the mark of what ended up being the game sealing goal from Ben Avro.
All in all, another fantastic week in footy.

Singapore Sharks Football Club © 2018. All rights reserved.