Sharks AFL End of Season Wrap-Up 2018
After Finals Day for the Lightning Rounds on 25th August, our 2018 season has come to close. Congratulations to the victorious teams and to those individuals awarded with medals and trophies for their achievements. The skills of the kids improved markedly over the year and it was great to see all of the values of the Sharks on show, particularly team work, sportsmanship and all striving to do their best.
2018 has been an action packed year for the Singapore Sharks:
- We have grown to over 350 players not including the 40-50 girls that attended our first ever girls footy sessions
- Our season commenced in February with 13 weeks of Sharks training ranging from U/5s right through to our ever enthusiastic Dad’s group. This was then followed by the competitive Lightning Rounds over 6 weeks for the U/9, U/11 and U/13 age groups. This included sessions on Saturday afternoons and the very popular Friday Night Footy under Lights.
- The BBQ is always a big hit for food and beverages and the support of so many volunteers all year has been terrific and very much appreciated.
- We have many volunteer coaches who give up their time to teach and guide our kids on how to play our great game and all our deserving of a big thank you. We have a brilliant Head Coach in Scott Murphy and I would like thank him and Brad Winters for a sterling job. I know they are very proud of the development seen amongst our playing group.
- We are extremely fortunate to have the support of the wonderful Australian International School. The AIS allows our kids to utilise fantastic facilities and this and the help of many AIS employees is greatly appreciated.
- On Saturday May 5th we again held a gala dinner / quiz night this time with AFL Legend Peter Daicos. Peter also spoke at the AIS to a number of sporting groups and ran training sessions for all age groups – even the Dads!
- The Hong Kong Club paid us a visit for some ‘international matches’ in May and an enjoyable day was had by all and we look forward to continuing this great relationship. Discussions about a tri-series with HK and Thailand in 2019 are under way
- The Sharks had a very successful tour of Melbourne with 40 lucky kids playing on the MCG. We also had 2 matches against suburban Melbourne junior clubs and acquitted ourselves very well.
- Our Dad’s team again did well in the Bali Masters narrowly losing the final of the whole event and doing the Sharks proud
- We have had a number of Girls footy sessions in 2018 and we intend to have a more formal structure next year. The level of interest and enthusiasm has been outstanding.
- We have fantastic sponsors that allow us to provide a very cost effective environment for all Sharks. Many thanks to Visy, JLL, Dallas, Michael Page, Telstra, Caterpillar, City Developments, Sliding Doors Entertainment and other partners such as Honan Insurance, Cockies Beer, The Butcher and Flight Centre.
- Ultimately our goal is to provide a really positive environment where our kids have a chance to play the wonderful game of Aussie Rules. I think we achieved many of our goals again in this regard in 2018 and we should be very proud of our club and look forward to 2019 and beyond
- We will be endeavouring to provide season dates and details of 2019 registration by October / November this year. We have streamlined our processes to try and have new kit ordered before the end of the year so that all of our Sharks have kit before the start of next season
- More details will be provided via email, Facebook and at www.sharksfc.com.sg in the weeks ahead.
Thanks again to all who have supported the might Singapore Sharks AFL Club this year!